There's more to Rainbows than rain and sunshine

No comments


This post first appeared on my personal blog in May 2011 as part of a competition to blog about a volunteering experience (which I won). I thought it would be a good first post here as it outlines some of the reasons why I love guiding and even three years on this post is still as relevant now as it was then.

How can there be more to rainbows than rain and sunshine? I mean duh its basic science! Everyone knows that when sunlight catches raindrops at the right angle (no not A right angle, THE right angle) a rainbow is made but I'm not talking about the rainbows you see in the sky. No, I mean the 5, 6 and 7 year old girls, the youngest members of the Girlguiding family and I'll let you into a little secret...they're my favourite section but don't tell that to my Guide unit! Rainbows really are cuties. Did you know a 5 year old will tell you anything without you even asking...they'll tell you their whole life story if you'll only listen. Last weekend (whilst helping out at Rainbow sleepover) I learnt all about one Rainbow's dog and I could probably tell you his whole life story not to mention the Rainbow's but that's not what we're here for. No, this post is about volunteering with Rainbows.

But maybe I'd better explain a bit more about what Rainbows is, I mean, what's the point in me writing more if you guys have no idea what I'm going on about!! :P Well most of you have probably heard of Guides right? and perhaps even Brownies (no not the edible ones...I don't think you'd want to eat an eight year old girl would you now...because that's cannibalism...but whatever floats your boat. Please Note: Cannibalism is not endorsed in any way, shape or form by me). Perhaps if you're from America you might know Rainbows as Daisy Scouts or from Canada as Sparks. In Ireland they're called Ladybirds and in Hong Kong they're known as Happy Bees but the idea is the same the whole world over and that is, I quote from Girlguiding UK:

"Being a Rainbow is all about learning, developing self-confidence, building friendships and, of course, having lots of fun!"
 And I know that our Rainbows certainly do, take the other weekend for example; it was our annual Rainbow Sleepover almost 20 Rainbows in a hall for one night with more arriving the next day. Hectic is the first word that springs to my mind and hectic it was but more importantly ENJOYABLE!! I spent my Saturday building LEGO cars with small children, yes LEGO cars with multiple parts, no make that 30+ parts and 5 and 6 year olds. But at the end of the day we only lost the arm of one driver and the headlight off one car. I know its not how many people would choose to spend their Saturday but its how I chose to spend mine,building cars and singing songs, all  in between making frantic dashes to the florists to get pink balloons filled with helium because you can't send one Rainbow home without a balloon!

There is reason behind my madness (because sometimes it feels like I really must be mad to do what I do) because at the end of the sleepover, whilst waiting for her parents to come and collect her one little Rainbow said to me that she had really enjoyed herself and would definitely come next year and that next year she would stay the night! It's the little things like that that make volunteering with the rainbows worthwhile, well that and being recognised in TESCO's by them because it make me feel like I'm famous!

So in the spirit of Rainbows, Look, Laugh, Love, Learn. We've had lots of fun. Bye, bye Rainbows (and you lot reading this :P ). Sleep well everyone!

No comments :

Post a Comment