Why do you want to be a Girlguiding Advocate?

No comments
I could give a million and one reasons as to why I would like to be a Girlguiding Advocate but I think they can be summed up quite nicely in three:

1. To spread the word about the word about the important work Girlguiding does.

The four central parts of Girlguiding are:
We are for all girls.
We give girls their own space.
We give girls a voice.
We change as the lives of girls change.
Every time I put on my uniform to attend a Girlguiding event, I feel proud. Proud that I am making a difference. Girlguiding is a fantastic organisation and it isn't like other clubs, it encourages all of its members to be the best they can and it make the world better for themselves and others. The benefits of the work Girlguiding does isn't just felt by its members but by the wider community. Whether that's encouraging girls to try new challenges, campaigning for an end to Page 3 or researching what girls today really think and feel through the Girls' Attitudes Surveys. Girlguiding makes a difference and I would loved to be involved in making that difference and sharing what we do with more people.

2. To shape the future of the organisation that has shaped me.

I can be quite indecisive but I surprised myself when at 15 I decided I wanted to be a teacher and haven't changed my mind since. However, I only knew at 15 that I wanted to be a teacher because of guiding; it was working as a young leader and thoroughly enjoying planning activities for my Rainbows, watching them enjoy these activities and learn something new that I realised I wanted to do this every day. Teaching therefore seemed an obvious choice. This year as I was doing the rounds of interviews for PGCE applications, every interviewer asked me why I wanted to teach and I always received a positive response when I said because of Girlguiding. In fact one interviewer told me that she herself had been a guide and got her Queen's Guide Award. People recognise the skills that you gain from being involved in Girlguiding. I know I am a better, more confident young woman because of guiding and now I would like to give back. I would like to be a part of ensuring that Girlguiding stays relevant to girls and young women today and in the future so that they can benefit as I have.

3. To encourage others to join in the fun!

People only dedicate the amount of time they do to Girlguiding because they enjoy it. Whether that's going to Big Gig and seeing your favourite artists, gaining a badge or seeing the girls' happy faces when they leave the meeting every week. Girlguiding is FUN! Being an Advocate gives you the opportunity to share that fun with many more people!

No comments :

Post a Comment